Re: Some observations regardig the progress towards Debian 3.1

Matt wrote:
> Adrian wrote:
> > Debian stable is too outdated, it doesn't even reasonable support most
> > available new hardware. At least one release [3] every year would be
> > required.
>
> You keep saying this, but in my experience it simply isn't true.  I
> regularly install woody on brand-new Intel systems.  Most of the time, the
> woody kernels suffice, and when I need some obscure bug fix from a later
> kernel, I simply upgrade the kernel rather than dismissing the entire
> release as "too outdated".

My experience show it *is* true: we had in the same week 2 idendical
servers to install Debian on, for 2 different customers who bought
them themselves (IIRC), something like 1 or 2 months ago.  The woody
CD's simply could not find the HD, most probably because the
MPT/fusion driver in 2.4.18 is too old.  OTOH Knoppix 3.3 with its
2.4.22 could see the HD without a problem...

This problem has caused much more time to be spent on this than what
would have been needed, for no other reason than "woody is outdated".

Regards,
--
Yann Dirson    <ydirson@altern.org> |    Why make M$-Bill richer & richer ?
Debian-related: <dirson@debian.org> |   Support Debian GNU/Linux: