Re: Example of really nasty DD behavior

On Sat, Nov 15, 2003 at 11:55:46PM +0100, Duck wrote:
> Filip Van Raemdonck <mechanix@debian.org> wrote :
> >
> > libxklavier & gswitchit packages are uploaded and waiting to be added by
> > ftp-master.
>
> This nasty behavior shows that being an officiel Debian developer
> does not mean quality.

What's actually nasty about this? And what does any of it have to do with
quality, or lack of it?

> You did work on your own without any notice.
> May i remeber you the use of IPTs and RFPs ?

May I remember you it's retitling an RFP into ITP you responded to?
Which was meant to avoid anyone else going through useless effort while
the packages are waiting for ftp-master intervenience.

> These are tools to inform people about works to be done and work in
> progress in order to avoid duplicate work.
> As u did not fill any ITP nor informed anybody on this RFP, u did make
> me loose my time preparing for doing this packaging.

Uh-huh. So where was yours to avoid others' duplicate work?

> I did contact him, but you didn't.

Because I hadn't yet does not mean I wouldn't.
And it isn't a strict requirement, anyway.

> Another thing, someone had already packaged this program (see web site);
> he is not a Debian developer and has not enought time to become one.

I checked the NM queue and noticed he was not in there. Nor did he
indicate any wish to become one in his earlier messages to the BTS,
instead these messages rather suggest that he does not (which is
apparently true) due to lack of expressing such interest.

And when I checked the url yesterday it was unreachable. Seems to work
fine now, though.

> he could have made this package to be prepared and then propose
> it into Debian.

He reported creating them on the 5th of august. Ample time to propose them
into Debian since then, wouldn't you think?

> You could have some respect for his work, even if he is not a DD.

Who says I don't? I did not check his work, because I could not reach the
site, but that does not mean I disrespect it.

On Sun, Nov 16, 2003 at 02:14:48PM +0100, Duck wrote:

> As Martin Pitt said, I think it's wise contacting related persons, look at
> the program, and then, when you relly want to package it, write an ITP.
> I won't post hundreds of ITPs in advance to be sure to get the packages i
> like and then reopen them when i don't those.

I think it's wise to see if one is capable of building packages, then ITP.
As you state, there are too many ITPs which are never fullfilled.
Since in this case it was an old RFP, I immediately uploaded the packages
as well.

> And i don't think i'd like to work with a guy who is unable to communicate.

Pity. One of these weeks I was about to contact you to see if you were in
need of a sponsor of arkhart, following up to
<sa7brus1b5d.fsf@Elwing.coinnetwork.dl>
Which is a message you sent to debian-mentors 3 months ago, while you only
sent ITPs for arkhart 10 days ago. Seems you are a little late yourself?

*Shrug*
Well, the offer stands. I'm currently working out things with someone else
to sponsor an RFAd package, but when that's worked out I'll sponsor you,
if you wish.

Regards,

Filip

--
"From a security perspective, Bluetooth is a disaster waiting to happen."
	-- Martin Reynolds