Re: Example of really nasty DD behavior

On Sun, Nov 16, 2003 at 02:14:48PM +0100, Duck wrote:
> > Duck, perhaps you should have written the ITP earlier.  Instead of
> > complaining, why don't you thank your fellow developer and offer to
> > co-maintain the package.  Perhaps the package could benefit from your
> > combined efforts.
>
> As Martin Pitt said, I think it's wise contacting related persons, look at
> the program, and then, when you relly want to package it, write an ITP.
> I won't post hundreds of ITPs in advance to be sure to get the packages i
> like and then reopen them when i don't those.
>
> I said i contacted people, looked Ă  the program, but i didn't package
> anything. My ITP so came just before any real packaging work, and i don't
> think doing it earlier would have been adequate.

ITP means simply "intent to package". Anyone can, and judging by this case
probably should, announce their intention as soon as they see the program or
the RFP. You can always either confirm or withdraw your ITP later.

I'm sorry that you feel disappointed, but the other developer didn't seem to
do anything "really nasty", he was merely much more expeditious than you
were. He could have posted his ITP sooner, too (unless in the unlikely event
he actually made the package in a few minutes), but it's not such a big deal.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.