Re: Some observations regardig the progress towards Debian 3.1

Alexander Winston <alexander.winston@comcast.net> writes:

> On Sat, 2003-11-15 at 23:17, David Starner wrote:
> > > Debian 3.0 contains 7 CDs with binaries and Debian 3.1 might contain 10
> > > or more CDs. How do you explain to a user why there are 10 CDs, but this
> > > popular package is not included, and that package he needs is not
> > > included?
> > >
> > > Saying "The maintainer didn't care enough about the package you need."
> > > only sounds like a good reason to switch to RedHat...  :-(
> >
> > There are going to be packages that users want that aren't included.
> > That's life. We are never going to support every program that anyone
> > might think they need.
> >
> > If you were a Debian developer, you could fix this by adopting or at least
> > NMUing important programs that were unmaintained. Is it easier to stand
> > on the outside and complain then actually work to making it better?
>
> But it may take many months or even years before he reaches official
> Debian developer status... Could anything be done about that, perhaps?

Anyone can adopt a package and asked for a sponsor imediatly. If the
person knows a few DDs personally or hangs around on of the debian irc
channels its pretty easy to find sponsor for an adoption too.

Adopting is easy compared to getting a NMU or a hijack sponsort.

MfG
        Goswin