Re: Some observations regardig the progress towards Debian 3.1

Blars Blarson <blarson@blars.org> writes:

> In article <[🔎] 878ymhzeep.fsf@mrvn.homelinux.org>
> brederlo@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de writes:
> >Given a person with the hardware and time I'm certain support can be
> >added in a single day. The big problem is getting access to the
> >hardware directly or indirectly through a tester.
>
> Given that I've spend about 20 hours trying to get debian-installer
> working on sparc, and havn't yet tried to boot it, I'm sure you are
> wrong.  (Three bugs reported and fixed already, one that still needs
> to be filed.)
>
> >And don't tell me use debians machines unless you are able to provide
> >accounts for sveral non DD d-i developers (which needs sudo for
> >additional build-depends needed for that arch).
>
> As far as I can tell, there are three people who have done any attempt
> at getting d-i workin on sparc.  None of them is lacking the needed
> hardware.  If hardware was all that was needed, I could have not given
> away some of what I've given away, or picked up slightly better
> machines for not much money.  I may be given a few in the near future.

Are you subscribed to debian-boot or on the irc channel?

I haven't gotten a single problem report for sparc (or the other
unsuported archs) for any of my call for testing of the new build
scripts. Maybe you could let them run and post the error and I will
fix it.

The problem I'm facing with porting is that though I have the
knowledge about d-i I lack the hardware and have to guess about the
booting method by reading debian-cd sources or googleing.

MfG
        Goswin