ttmkfdir and libfreetype6

Recently, while trying to get rid of packages on my system from the "oldlibs"
section, I noticed that mkttfdir still depends on libttf2.

The newer ttmkfdir version (3.0.9) that RedHat 9 uses works with the
Freetype 2 library, and it has seen much more active development lately
than the version we're using in Debian so I think it might be a good idea
to take 3.0.9 and package it for Debian.

However, I don't know what the ttmkfdir maintainer has planned with ttmkfdir
and I don't want to step on his toes by doing an unwanted NMU. I contacted
Miros/law over a week ago but I haven't heard back from him yet. A glance at
all of his packages shows that he hasn't been active for quite a while. Does
anyone know whether he's still actively maintaining them?

A newer ttmkfdir package, using the 3.0.9 sources from RedHat, is available
from
	http://people.debian.org/~robin/ttmkfdir/
Basically it's the RedHat 3.0.9 version with two patches applied to let
it compile without errors on gcc-3.3 and to make it build properly. The
patches that are currently applied to ttmkfdir-1.0 no longer apply to
the newer version but it seems that they are no longer needed, anyway.
Also, it uses CDBS for debian/rules because it's good and makes for easier
maintenance ;-)

Incidentally, using ttmkfdir 3.0.9 would close bug #141621 (.ttc support)
as well.

Would it be a good idea if I did an NMU, seeing how Miros/law himself is
not likely to respond himself anytime soon? None of the bugs against
ttmkfdir are release critical, but its dependency on an old (obsolete)
library is an anachronism and will become more of one if the old
ttmkfdir makes it into the new stable distribution.

Any thoughts?
- Robin