Re: radiusd-freeradius history and future

In article <[🔎] 20031113015437.GA2323@quetzlcoatl.dodds.net>,
Steve Langasek  <vorlon@netexpress.net> wrote:
>-=-=-=-=-=-
>
>On Thu, Nov 13, 2003 at 11:50:05AM +1100, Russell Coker wrote:
>
>> > In certain NIS configurations you can only access the hashed password
>> > if your query to the NIS server comes from a privileged port <=1024,
>> > i.e. afaict yes.
>
>> This is so ugly.
>
>Last I looked, there wasn't much in NIS that wasn't.  I think the amount
>of pain we should put other users through on account of NIS is very
>small (e.g., no longer asking about non-md5 passwords on install).

Sure. NIS works fine with md5 passwords. It's just that NIS is
ofcourse a network protocol, and on the network there might be
non-linux systems that do not support md5 passwords.

However in that case, usually the Linux box isn't the NIS
server but the Solaris box is. So it doesn't matter.

So go ahead, let Debian use md5 by default.

Mike.