Re: kernel package names (was Re: Package libc6-dev depends on linux-kernel-headers)

On 06-Nov-03, 13:47 (CST), Keegan Quinn <ice@wasteland.respond2.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 01:14:31PM -0600, Steve Greenland wrote:
> > Surely these won't all show up in the same Packages file...if you're
> > running GNU/KFreeBSD, it will be a FreeBSD kernel, right? Why would the
> > Linux and Hurd kernels even be in the list?
>
> It would be nice to be able to [relatively] easily switch between
> kernels.  I have no idea if that is possible, but it would be nice.  :)

It isn't. At a *minimum*, the kernel side of libc is different,
and I doubt anyone puts any effort into making the user side
binary compatible. Not to mention file systems, device support and
configuration, etc. etc. etc.

Steve

--
Steve Greenland