Re: A case study of a new user turned off debian

On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 08:17:06AM +0000, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> I challenge the assertion that this affects a large portion of users.
>
> In the past few months, I've installed woody on roughly 30-40
> different types of box, all aged 0-3 years, and only one was
> unsupported by woody (and that was freaky new apple kit).
>
> I think you have unusual hardware.

Neither are that unusual. I suppose it may have been a little highend
for some when I first bought them, but now they are relatively cheap,
an AthlonXP Via KT400 based motherboard now is as cheap as $42 USD
and the P4 i865/i875 chipset series is as cheap as $62 USD. Perhaps all
of your 0-3 year old systems had older chipset logic in them, or perhaps
truly new systems just aren't common in your country. Via KT400 was
released 16 Aug 2002 and the i865/i875 line was released 14 Apr 2003.
Note that nearly all P4 systems with the 800MHz FSB use the i865/i875
chipsets. I refuse to use nvidia products, but I somehow doubt that
boards based on their nforce2 chipset work properly either.

Regardless updating boot-floppies when new kernels come out would be a
good idea so that newbies with recent machines can still use Debian.

Chris

Release Dates:

Intel
-----