Re: On package description quality

On Sun, Oct 05, 2003 at 05:03:54PM +0200, Mathieu Roy wrote:
> Tom <tb.nospam@comcast.net> a tapot? :
>
> > I disagree.  GUI apps in Linux are so wildly disparate that knowing the
> > basic architecture is pretty important for me to decide whether or not I
> > want it.
>
> What a normal user care about is the purpose and features of software,
> not the libraries (toolkit) used to build this software.

This is true.  However, as Microsoft and Apple seem to believe, it's not
a nutty idea to believe that people care about how fonts look, clipboard
operations work, and what the keyboard shortcut for File|Save is.  Call
me nutty for buying into this.

Whether or not an app is GTK1, GTK2, Tcl/Tk, or QT3 makes a big
difference to this.  So yes, the library doesn't matter, but the core
feature set is kinda relevant.  Maybe you could find another way to
describe it.