Re: /usr/doc symlinks

On Sun, 5 Oct 2003, Chris Cheney wrote:

> I thought that it was planned that /usr/doc not exist for the sarge
> release. However, I still see symlinks in /usr/doc is this considered a
> bug or are we waiting until sarge+1 to do this?
>
> BTW - I still see one package that installs files directly into /usr/doc
>
> usr/doc/examples/ucbmpeg/mpeg_encode/nosearch.param   graphics/ucbmpeg

Yes, it's a bug. Please report it. Packages were already supposed to
have docs physically in /usr/share/doc in woody.

BTW: I would like to remove /usr/doc in base-files so that sarge
installs made from scratch do not have a /usr/doc at all. The only
thing which prevents me from doing that is that Manoj sort-of
convinced me that according to policy, packages may in principle
assume blindly that /usr/doc exists when creating/removing the
symlinks.

Does anyone have a good estimation about the number of packages which
currently do this? (That is, assume *blindly* that /usr/doc exists).