Re: Annoyances of aptitude (Was: Where are we now?) (Was: Bits from the RM)

On Fri, Oct 03, 2003 at 02:07:00PM -0400, Daniel Burrows wrote:
> > The way this garbage collection is implemented is one of the main
> > dislikes I have about aptitude. Aptitude contains a database with
> > packages that have been installed through aptitude; as such, it contains
> > no information on packages that were installed through a different
> > dpkg-frontend. Which is no problem in itself, except that aptitude
> > assumes a package which has not been installed through aptitude is not
> > wanted; this makes a transition from a different dpkg-frontend to
> > aptitude cumbersome, to say the least.
>
>   This behavior is obviously terrible, which is why aptitude doesn't
> try to implement it.

Ah. Oh.

> Of course, as ccheney pointed out recently, there
> are always bugs.  Can you show me a case where, starting with no
> aptitude state information, you run aptitude and get any package on
> the system marked as "automatically installed"?  (one exception is stuff
> that really is automatically installed in order to perform the
> upgrade-on-start)

I can't. As said, I tried it only once, and it was a while ago.

>   I just tested this on my computer and it behaves as I expect.  I
> wonder if you somehow accidentally marked everything as automatic the
> first time you used aptitude (or used a buggy version, although I don't
> remember any released version with this particular bug), then saved
> those states and forgot about it?

That is possible. If what happened to me is not the intended behaviour,
then please ignore my last mail :-)

--
Wouter Verhelst
"Stop breathing down my neck." "My breathing is merely a simulation."