Re: LWN subscription for Debian developers

Dan Jacobson <jidanni@jidanni.org> writes:

> Bdale> ... I announced a group subscription to lwn.net for Debian
> Bdale> developers, sponsored by HP...
>
> Debian may be seen as supporting non-disclosure conditions /
> protected proprietary information / trade secrets / etc. whatever.

What are you smoking? lwn.net makes articles available after one week,
they are only trying to get some money from subscriptions. I don't see
any relations to trade secrets and non-disclosure agreements, except
if you see all subscription-based services that way. But that would
also apply to people subscribing to newspapers, using the local
library (certain services only available for residents in public
libraries or university affiliates for academic libraries...) and tons
of other stuff.

> Bdale> If you are a Debian developer and want full LWN access, go to
> Bdale> lwn.net and create an account for yourself (no money is
> Bdale> required...
>
> But the Debian developer cannot disclose the information seen with non
> Debian developers.

I don't think that is true. We cannot set up mirror sites, sure, but
if I share this information with some friends, I don't see how this
would violate anything.

Lukas

P.S.: I still would prefer lwn.net to be free. In fact, I would prefer
to get my NY Times without paying for it, but unfortunately my wishes
do not always come true...