Re: Debian Weekly News - August 19th, 2003

Jérôme Marant said:
> Quoting Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker <ilmari@ilmari.org>:
>>   consensus
>>        n : agreement of the majority in sentiment or belief
>>            [syn: {general agreement}]
>>
>>   unanimity
>>        n : everyone being of one mind
>>

>> A world of difference.
>
> No, no, no! You don't get it. There may be a majority among the
> debian-legal zealots, but we need a consensus among Debian as a
> whole (which means voting of course).
>
> We musn't let the bigots decide for us! ;-)

Oh, get stuffed.  Of the people who are interested enough in matters legal
to subscribe to -legal, it's becoming fairly obvious (from Branden's
survey posted earlier today and the subsequent replies) that the consensus
is that the GFDL is either totally rooted or at least partially rooted,
DFSG-wise.
Insisting on a vote, hoping that the apathetic masses will support you
when those who care don't, strikes me as, at best, hopelessly optimistic,
and, at worst, downright delusional.
Ever heard the phrase "the lurkers support me in e-mail" from the loser in
an argument?  Are you seeing any analogies?
- Matt