Re: stack protection

Hi

On Thu, Aug 21, 2003 at 02:56:34PM +1000, Brian May wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 21, 2003 at 12:57:06PM +1000, Russell Coker wrote:
> > Who is interested in stack protection?
x86 only? Pro police is the most platform independent iirc.

> > I think it would be good to have some experiments of stack protected packages
> > for Debian.  Probably the best way to do this would be to start with
> > ssh-stack and sysklogd-stack being uploaded to experimental.  I don't have
> > time to do this, but I would like to help test it.
> What stack protection are you talking about here?
If you need further reference the easiest way would be to check the
bugtraq flamew^Wdiscussion archives right now, as there is quite a big
thread with people who have programmed/used ProPolice, Stackguard, PaX and
W^X (the stuff OpenBSD uses at the moment). If you filter out the 90% rant
and the "my-big-dick-software-is-best-at-protecting-your-stack" noise, you
will find some useful things about stack protection, and the features of
each solution...

> Any references?
damn. why didn't I write the above here...

MfG/Regards, Alexander

--
Alexander Reelsen   http://tretmine.org
ref@tretmine.org