Re: Proposal: make kernel install easier

On 20 Aug 2003 15:39:18 -0400, Adam C Powell IV <hazelsct@debian.org> said:

> On Wed, 2003-08-20 at 15:02, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
>     Adam C Powell IV <hazelsct@debian.org> writes:

>> Greetings,
>>
>> Installing a new kernel package can be a bit of a pain, especially
>> for newbies, what with hand-editing lilo.conf or config files for
>> other bootloaders, from grub to yaboot/quik, aboot, palo, you name
>> it.  Yes, the kernel-image postinst runs lilo, but lilo.conf is
>> invariably out of date, so this is relatively useless except for
>> upgrades.
>>
>> So why not (optionally) automate the process a bit?  Use a
>> directory e.g. /usr/lib/bootloaders/ to put scripts for managing
>> the .conf files and running the bootloaders.

>     I believe lilo and grub already have that.

>> From /boot/grub/menu.lst

>>> lines between the AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST markers will be modified
>>> by the debian update-grub script except for the default optons
>>> below

>     There is also a mechanism in dpkg to install hooks now which is
>     hopefully already used to run update-grub.

> Cool, did not know.  I guess a "hooks" mechanism would be required
> for unmodified kernel-image packages...

	*Sigh*. There already is one implemented.

> My proposed system would add user control of menu entry
> names/labels, and finer-grained control of boot options (without
> editing the .conf files), but these don't seem worth the overhead of
> such a system.

	You can do this without needing to modify kernel-package
 itself.

> Is this documented somewhere, or should I just look at the latest
> lilo and grub packages to see how to adapt this to other
> bootloaders?  It would be nice if this were somewhat uniform (at
> least to the user) across loaders and architectures.

	If ti is feasible at all (and I have no idea if it would be),
 the hooks mechanism in kernel-package should enable you to do this as
 a third party package.

	manoj

--
"To YOU I'm an atheist; to God, I'm the Loyal Opposition." Woody Allen