Re: Proposal: make kernel install easier

On Wed, 2003-08-20 at 14:25, Josh Lauricha wrote:
    On Wed  10:51, Adam C Powell IV wrote:
    > Greetings,
    >
    > Installing a new kernel package can be a bit of a pain, especially for
    > newbies, what with hand-editing lilo.conf or config files for other
    > bootloaders, from grub to yaboot/quik, aboot, palo, you name it.  Yes,
    > the kernel-image postinst runs lilo, but lilo.conf is invariably out of
    > date, so this is relatively useless except for upgrades.

    Don't know about your system, but /vmlinuz and /vmlinuz.old always point
    to the correct images and lilo.conf is set to use those by default. So,
    whenever I upgrade the kernel this is all taken care of.

Not necessarily.  Ever removed a kernel?  Or tried to switch between
kernels with and without initrd.imgs?  (Or perhaps you don't use the
stock Debian 2.4 kernels...)

Zeen,
--
-Adam P.