Re: Bits from the RM

On Wed, Aug 20, 2003 at 04:34:18PM +0200, cobaco wrote:
> > KDE3.2 doesn't miss the deadline by 7 days, it misses the deadline by
> > almost two months:

> > * October 15th
> >    Final, last-minute, low-risk bug fixes only

> Monday September 29th, 2003: Preparing Beta1
>   The HEAD branch is tagged as Beta 1 and is frozen for nonurgent commits[1]

> is there any reason why stabilization of kde and stabilization of
> kde-packaging can't be done in parallel?

Of course not; but you've missed the crucial difference between
stabilization of kde *packaging*, and stabilization of kde *packages*.
There is a great deal of testing that must be done with the packages /in
situ/ once they've been built, to ensure that they work well amid the
other software in Debian.  Moreover, Debian users exercise KDE packages
on a much wider range of hardware than KDE developers typically do
before release; there is simply some testing we can't do before packages
have been allowed to hit the archive, and the window between getting the
current KDE packages into testing (just in case), and getting KDE 3.2
pre packages into experimental/unstable, doesn't leave any margin for
error before the release.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer