Re: Bits from the RM

Hi, I'm Troy McClure - you may remeber me from such threads as "How do we
get Debian to have a useful release timeframe", and... *er, wait*.

Okay, that sillyness aside...

On Wed, Aug 20, 2003 at 08:51:16AM -0400, Theodore Ts'o wrote:

> Better to have a hard freeze schedule, and then try to turn out new
> stable releases every 6-9 months.  Then folks won't be so desperate to
> shove new things in and screw up the release.  The problem, though, is
> the first such attempt take release schedules seriously and
> agressively (a) a really hardass RM, and (b) a certain amount of faith
> by the developers that we really can get our act together about short,
> regular, predictable releases.

Much, much better. I'd love to see it manage to hit every six months (and
even I agree that more often that that probably isn't feasible; most of the
major projects I know of that do scheduled releases don't have cycles < 6
months, and generally don't have too many users screaming about out-of-date
software). The first time is going to be a lot of unfamiliar, a lot of
hectic, and frankly, probably a lot of things that we don't get quite as
right as we could with experience - since, of course, part of the need is
to gain that experience.

I'm glad to see, however, that an RM has decided that targeting an actual
date, with an actual and concrete timeline (to compare against and know if
we're slipping too far), and clear mileposts along the way, is a meaningful
way to attempt a release.

You already have (b) from this quarter - and my profound hope that we
can, in fact, pull this off. Because it would resolve about 80% of the
complaints I've ever heard from folks about Debian (another 19% being the
install setup, which is also being remedied, and 1% being it's focus on
Linux, which is a separate question entirely - and no, I do not forsee
trying to get netbsd-i386 into sarge. If we manage to achieve a six-month
turnaround, quite possibly not even into sarge+1; NetBSD hasn't announced a
release target for 2.0 yet).

Off to hunt some RC bugs, now... (yeah, yeah, I should have been doing
this all along, but frankly, porting work took priority when there was no
release goal :)
--
Joel Baker <fenton@debian.org>                                        ,''`.
Debian GNU NetBSD/i386 porter                                        : :' :