Re: Binaryless uploads

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 16:16:10 -0400 (EDT), Jaldhar H Vyas
<jaldhar@debian.org> said:

> On Tue, 19 Aug 2003, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
>> Then the source should be split in a way that the normal
>> debian/rules files work and common files (like headers) stuffed
>> into a -dev package you can build-depend on.
>>

> Have you actually bothered looking at the webmin tarball?  I repeat
> it is a set of independent modules only bundled together upstream
> for convenience.  (And btw, it is a set of perl scripts.)

	As I understand it, there is an script that does the
 separation for you when you package the .debs. Is there a reason a
 similar script can't be invoked by debian/rules to create the
 multiple debs from the same source?

> debian/rules does work.  It just doesn't produce what people expect
> it to.  That's why barring any better ideas, I'm just going to
> reduce the size of the orig.tar.gz to the bits that actually make up
> the webmin binary package.

	Well, it is your package, and your decision, but retaining
 upstream packaging is generally desirable; and if you already have an
 automated means of separating out the irig.tar.gz for each binary
 .deb, doing so in ./debian/rules may be a better solution.

	manoj
--
Our missions are peaceful -- not for conquest.  When we do battle, it
is only because we have no choice. Kirk, "The Squire of Gothos",