Re: Debian Weekly News - August 19th, 2003

Great, the debian-legal discussions moved to debian-devel.

Quoting Peter S Galbraith <p.galbraith@globetrotter.net>:

> Now consider that most or all of the FSF documentation for their GPL'ed
> software is released under the GFDL.  The licenses are incompatible so
> someone who forks a project cannot cut and paste text between the manual
> and the software that it documents.  Why don't they use the GPL for the
> docs?  What do they gain?  They gain an invariant section about free
> software;  very ironic isn't it.

Pasting a piece of manual in a program doesn't magically turn the
documentation into a program; so this is not about mixing too
different codes. Just like, inserting a piece of code into a manual
doesn't turn the piece of code into documentation where the documentation
license applies.

See John Goerzen's message "Inconsistencies in our approach" in
debian-legal.

--
Jérôme Marant