Re: Why back-porting patches to stable instead of releasing a new package.

On Sat, Aug 16, 2003 at 10:55:34PM -0400, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> It is important to read the advisories before installing the updates when
> stability is important.  If there are special instructions, warnings, etc.
> for an update, they will be in the advisory.  For example, in the case of
> DSA-134, it explained why we were not able to backport a fix (thanks to
> OpenBSD).

Of course. My point was that this sort of thing would become more common if
we made it a habit of installing new versions into stable rather than just
patching the specific bug. I value the fact that updates won't randomly
cause problems as occasionally happens on a certain other operating system.

In this case it was a matter of putting "Protocol 2,1" into a few key
ssh_config files.