What doing with an uncooperative maintainer ?

Hi,

There is some problem with gqview maintainer (Ryan Murray), not about
the package but the way to deal with bug reports/users/others
maintainers.

I'm not sure of how to deal with such situation, so I've decided to mail
-devel to take advices.

I'll try to resume the situation:

* 17 Jun 2003:

Andrew "Netsnipe" Lau fill a wishlist against gqview package about the
new 1.3 branch (gtk2).

* 9 Aug 2003 12:45:

Almost 2 months and no response or comment of Ryan on the bug report,
Norbert Tretkowski decide to NMU the package.

* 9 Aug 2003 15:23:

Response from Ryan : he "hate" people who NMU major changes, but always
no comment on the bug report

* Since then no response from Ryan to mails/comment on bug report/...

Norbert has decided to upload gqview1.3 package in the archive.

I've tested both packages: gqview 1.3 has all 1.2 features, and add an
exif support. Many people use it for months without problems. I think
gqview 1.3 is ready for unstable ...

I'm wondering WHAT'S THE PROBLEM WITH R.Murray :

* he's not away but :
- ignore bug reports
- ignore comments
- ignore users mails

* he prefers let an useless package going in archive (for a short time)
  than giving a response to a bug report!

It is NOT a good way to deal with problems for a debian maintainer!
Adding an useless package in the archive with no reason because of that
is a lost of time!

I'm Cc this mail to debian-devel, perhaps in this way Mr Ryan will
response to give his advice about this.

Adding to gqview problem, gdm seems to be outdated with many bugs.

Debian version (2.4.1.3) dated from 03-feb-2003, upstream version
(2.4.1.6) is from 08-Aug-2003.

Ryan, if you don't have time to deal with bug reports/users'mails/new
upstream version/.... perhaps should you orphan some packages ?

Cheers,

Sebastien Bacher