Re: creating official Contributors (was Re: About NM and Next Release)

Stephen Frost wrote:
> * Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder (avbidder@fortytwo.ch) wrote:
>>How about moving from the one-step application (one is non-dd or dd) two a two
>>stage process: introduce the 'Debian Contributor' brand with very easy entry
>>level, and only DC's (older than a month or something like that -
>>fast-forwarding of course possible when there's a reason) would qualify to
>>apply for maintainership.
> This idea seems interesting.  It adds a bit more than what exists

I can only speak for myself, but I'm perfectly alright with the present system
in this respect and my guess'd be that others are as well.
Looking at the threads on -devel, most of the complaints seem to be about the
process after AM approval. So probably, you could just allow anyone past that
"debian contributor" or "dd aspirant". Don't know whether this helps at all, though.

After getting over the fact that people having "becoming a dd" as a goal will
(likely) be dissapointed at one time or another, I'd say the process is quite
OK. After applying once (trying what happens if you skip some checkboxes) and
expiring in the earliest of stages, I've found for myself that I might just as
well wait until I get invited.
In fact, it might even be that the process is too easy: Sometimes I'm getting
the impression that some applicants getting AM approval do so while their
packages aren't really above average. But then, trends in the quality of Debian
are quite another matter.

Cheers

T.