Re: About NM and Next Release

On Fri, Aug 08, 2003 at 11:59:42AM -0600, Wesley J Landaker wrote:
> On Friday 08 August 2003 10:59 am, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 08, 2003 at 10:32:07AM -0600, Joel Baker wrote:
> > > Funny. I thought the FSF was, at least origionally, more or less
> > > entirely about self-interest, altruism, and politics.
> >
> > The organisation might have been founded for those reasons, although
> > I think it was primarily politics. I don't think you'll find much (if
> > any) GNU code that was written because of them. Most of it was
> > written because "I need a foo. I don't *have* a foo, but I *do* know
> > how to make one".
>
> Eh?! The FSF is *all* about altruism and politics.

How is that different to what I just said? (Other than overemphasising
'altruism')

> The FSF and the GNU project is all about

This is unrelated, but using words which are closer to reality:

> ideals,

Arguments.

> politics,

Reasons for arguments.

> altruim, [sic]

Self-delusion. (It's invariably a form of 'By doing this I can better
fit the sort of person I would like to think I am'. People who
disagree with this interpretation are probably committing it. Get out
of that if you can!)

> self-interest,

Well yeah, self-interest.

[Back to the subject at hand...]

None of which puts code on the table (except maybe self-interest, if
it's a good interest). Do not confuse the FSF (which is a political
organisation) with the GNU project (which is a group of coders).

Much like you shouldn't confuse SPI (which is a nod in the direction
of capitalist governments) with Debian.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |