Re: About NM and next release

Andrew Suffield wrote:
>I'm not sure there are any good ones other than having some specific
>(technical, not political) things you want to see done and are willing
>to do. In that case, you won't have to be told to demonstrate stuff -
>you'll just do it, because you want to.
Wrong.  There have been specific technical things I wanted to do
which simply cannot be done easily as an outsider.

Generally it's QA stuff.  I'm doing it anyway, of course; it's just
slower and more tedious and discouraging.  So I tend to prefer to go
back to my GCC work.  (Despite many claims of patches and
submissions getting ignored at GCC, I've found them to be easier to
help than Debian in general.  This is not intended to disparage those
package maintainers who are really good at communicating and being
responsive, of which I have encountered quite a few.)

Incidentally, the entire NM system seems geared toward package
maintainers only, if you read the web pages.  (That was not
particularly encouraging.)

--
Nathanael Nerode  <neroden at gcc.gnu.org>
http://home.twcny.rr.com/nerode/neroden/fdl.html