Re: About NM and Next Release

On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 02:38:34PM -0500, Adam Heath wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Aug 2003, Chris Cheney wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 01:41:45PM -0500, Adam Heath wrote:
> > > On Wed, 6 Aug 2003, Chris Cheney wrote:
> > >
> > > Not to toot my own horn, but I was accepted in under one week.  I took 2 weeks
> > > to read up on everything, then after I sent in my app, less than a week later
> > > I was accepted.
> > >
> > Yep, this was before NM was closed indefinitely. From sometime around
> > early 1999 until mid 2000 (June iirc) NM was closed, as far as I know
> > no one at all was accepted into Debian during this time. IIRC Wichert
> > finally got the ball rolling to start accepting new maintainers around
> > April 2000.  I don't know the current average time for a NM to get
> > through the queue but I would guess at it being around 3-4 months.
>
> My mail was not an attempt to compare pre-NM acceptance times to after.  It
> was to show that those who do work, get accepted.

I guess, eventualy.... I maintain 10 sources in main - none have RC bugs.
Waiting since, well, about Dec 2001... Interresting...

>From my experience, you last sentance is true only if you do not make
any mistakes. For example, when I applied I took over some O:
packages - most were O: for a long time (in Dec. 2001). Note that
a lot of them were broken at that time and upstream, well, :)

eg. yiff

I updated it, but not knowing much about sonames (eg. when to change
them to what when upstream doesn't have a clue about them and just
sets them to version number), I messed up packaging of
yiff. Few RC bugs later, I learnt about sonames and fixed the
bug. But the damage was done - AM told me to learn more about
sonames! *BUT* I already learnt all about sonames from the mistakes
I've done that were reported to me. About a year later, I
was finally approved by AM (I guess both of us dropped the ball
on that).

So what is the moral of the story for NM?

DO NOT PACKAGE A LIBRARY IF YOU DO NOT KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT SONAMES!

You can *after* you become a DD and screw up then. But not before.

Anyway, waiting for DAM for some months now. I guess it has been
4-5 months now. I asked him on IRC when he might get arround to
my application, but he just said when he has time...

But I have no complains.. well, maybe except that every week or two
the parties responsible for the applicant (eg, AM or DAM) should
send out a status reports or something. That way there would be
less stagnation in the entire process. Why? Because people want to
do least amount of work to do their job. Just a suggestion.

- Adam