Re: About NM and Next Release

On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 01:41:45PM -0500, Adam Heath wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Aug 2003, Chris Cheney wrote:
>
> Not to toot my own horn, but I was accepted in under one week.  I took 2 weeks
> to read up on everything, then after I sent in my app, less than a week later
> I was accepted.
>
> The shortness can probably be attributed to me actually doing work.  This was
> during the libc5->libc6 transition, and I was recompiling 3-4 packages each
> day, and posting nightly summaries on -devel(this list).  I wasn't hounding
> DSA to accept me, I was just showing what work I was doing.  Others on the
> list, however, were clamouring for my acceptance.
>
> Of course, after I was accepted, I stopped doing 3-4 recompiles a day; I don't
> know what that means.
>
> (I was accepted in January, 1998).

Yep, this was before NM was closed indefinitely. From sometime around
early 1999 until mid 2000 (June iirc) NM was closed, as far as I know
no one at all was accepted into Debian during this time. IIRC Wichert
finally got the ball rolling to start accepting new maintainers around
April 2000.  I don't know the current average time for a NM to get
through the queue but I would guess at it being around 3-4 months.

Chris