Re: Should MUA only Recommend mail-transfer-agent?

On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 10:27:38AM -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:
> On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 18:50:21 +0200
> Tollef Fog Heen <tfheen@raw.no> wrote:
> > * Steve Lamb
> > |     How many local users are you going to have on a laptop whose correct
> > SMTP| server changes as a function of their location?
>
> > Usually: one, I guess.
>
>     So 1 person, 1 location to change.
>
> > |     Oddly enough I only have one program for that now.  Sylpheed-Claws.
> > | Fortunately it can do something that most SMTP servers can't without some
> > | rather painful configuration: send mail through different SMTP servers
> > based| on the account from which the mail was sent.
>
> > Why do you want to do that?
>
>     Imagine being at work, polling mail from home and then wanting to send
> mail back out.  If the computer, say the laptop, is configured to forward to
> work mail now you're using the company server to send out personal mail.  Even
> forgiving the whole idea of "Ya'll shouldn't do that on the clock" because
> people do have lunch breaks and so on some companies archive all mail that
> travels through their servers.  Do you want your private mail ending up in the
> company archives for several years?  I don't.
>
>     Conversely while at home and answering work mail, presumably on the same
> machine, you'd want the mail to hit the corporate SMTP server first.  Why?
> Because of the archives above.  If you're communicating with an off-site
> contact and skip the corporate server their archives are incomplete.
>
>     With this dual system you'd want mail from account A to go to SMTP server
> A, mail from account B to go to SMTP server B regardless of location.

masqmail is an MTA especially designed for notebooks. It can send
mail with the conf depending on your location and account.

It's relatively small and it's debconfed.

Greetings,
Oliver

--
An MTA for home users, notebooks and PDAs: http://masqmail.cx/masqmail/