Re: Future releases of Debian

On Sat, Jul 26, 2003 at 12:10:01AM -0400, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
> debconf (important) depends on liblocale-gettext-perl (standard).
>   Presumably liblocale-gettext-perl should become important.
>   Or debconf could be replaced in 'important' with cdebconf, of course.

Ouch... <g>

> db2:
>   This is pretty old... who still uses it, anyway?  More specifically,

No shortage of them (apt-cache showpkg libdb2).  Whether they could all be
built using libdb3 I don't know.  I'll have another look at my cyrus
packages at some stage.

> kdebindings:
>   Orphaned package managed by QA.  Should be NMUed, adopted, or removed.

WTF does this package even do?  If someone could provide a patch, or tell me
what to do (if it just needs a reupload) I'll do it, but I've never
developed for KDE, so I'm stumped.

There's an ITA on this from Mike Hommey <mh@glandium.org>.

> open-amulet:
>   Looks pretty abandoned.  Package should probably be hijacked or
>   removed (or forcibly orphaned, or whatever...)
> tcl-sql:
>   Serious bug to this effect for 89 days -- with patch.  Should
>   probably be NMUed.
> xerces:
>   Normal bug to this effect for 31 days -- with patch.  Should probably
>   be NMUed.

I'll ping the maintainers of these.  Forcible orphan might be a reasonable
option.

> can't tell whether it needs anything else.  Sparc seems to be taking a
> while; s390, m68k, and arm seem to need some serious work.
>
> Good luck finding more people to work on those last three.

If someone wants to donate an S390 to me I'll happily take it to work on
d-i; I'll even pay the power bills myself.  How's that for selfless
sacrifice?  <grin>

- Matt