Re: default MTA for sarge

#include <hallo.h>
* Miles Bader [Fri, Jul 18 2003, 12:42:14PM]:
> Hamish Moffatt <hamish@debian.org> writes:
> > > I had great trouble setting up exim3 correctly.
> >
> > Why? eximconfig offers a smarthost option. Should be trivial.
>
> You'd think, but I switched to postfix many (~4) years ago for the same
> reason.  I don't remember the details anymore, just that exim didn't do

Four years ago means experiences with Sarge-1 or -2. Please don't
extrapolate it to the current situation. IMO the debconf config scripts
from postfix and exim4-config both ask almost the same questions and
expect the same answers.

> The Right Thing, and I wasted quite a bit of time banging my head
> against it.  Postfix needed a bit of futzing, but it worked, and I was
> able to configure it to get all the weird little details correct.

On my system, Postfix did not the right thing, and Nullmailer did not
either. They failed to send the mails via Smarthost since it was
rejecting them because of wront MAIL FROM info. But how to debug it? I
was not able to fix it in Postfix, and there were no useable debug mode
like in Exim.

And somehow, Exim4 worked without real problems as exim-tls did
before.

MfG,
Eduard.
--
<Joey> Alfie *patch*  11tes Gebot: Du sollst Joey nicht verwirren.
<Alfie> Joey: Wieso?  Gerade das macht so viel Spass....