Re: default MTA for sarge

On Wed, Jul 16, 2003 at 10:41:05PM +1000, Craig Sanders wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 16, 2003 at 09:20:16PM +1000, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
>
> > I see sendmail configuration files that are ten lines long and I can't wrap
> > my brain around them. OTOH, when I look at an Exim configuration I can see
> > the steps. After global parameters, looks if the domain is in local_domains,
> > if so see list A else list B. Each list is traversed in order until one
> > matches and a delivery happens. Postfix seems the other way round; there is a
> > setup somewhere that you tweak using options in your configuration.
>
> postfix does things in the EXACT order you specify.  first match wins.  always.
>
> funnily enough, this is something really basic about postfix but lots of people
> miss it. it comes up on the list quite often, usually in questions about
> anti-spam rulesets.
>
> it is useful, e.g., when you want to have multiple aliases files or
> local/virtual recipient tables.

Yes, that's very good, but I'm not interested in the restrictions. My
problem is the issue of transports. See, that basic config was only short
because they left out at least the master.cf and god knows what else.

See what I want is sort of: if user in list A, deliver as normal, else if
list B, deliver but always as user mail (these accounts have no real user
accounts), else if in list C deliver via this program. If file X exists then
user is on vacation and give vacation message (remember, these users don't
have home directories either).

My favourite feature is builtin message filtering, allowing me to do all
sorts of neat tricks. The vast majority of viruses coming through are picked
up with simple pattern matching of the MIME headers without resorting to
external programs.

> Ralf Hildebrandt has some excellent docs and howtos and sample configurations
> (incl. a tar.gz of his /etc/postfix directory which also contains a useful
> Makefile to automate everything...i should send him a copy of my Makefile in
> case there's anything he can use in it).  anyway, his site is at:
>
> http://sbserv.stahl.bau.tu-bs.de/~hildeb/postfix/

Yep, I see it and I downloaded his example postfix directory. I'm not seeing
any semi-complicated virtual-hosting setup with vacation and bsmtp support.

Like I said, it's probably possible but all these small files give me the
creeps.

Have a nice day,