Re: Proposal: removing libc5, altgcc and all their old-days dependencies

Fabio Massimo Di Nitto wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Jun 2003, Francesco P. Lovergine wrote:
>
> > IMO it's a good moment to drop all the following i386-specific packages
> > which are libc5 related:
> >

> [SNIP]
>

> > and others, partially.
> >
> > This could impact potentially very old (commercial mostly) binaries,
> > Comments, ideas, complaints?
>
> I agree with this removal. I don't really see any reason to keep such old
> pieces of software anymore (specially when they don't work properly
> anymore or it looks like)

I guess there is still commercial and proprietary software floating around
which requires older library versions.  If they should contininue to run on
Debian it would be helpful to provide compatible versions of the required
libraries.

Regards,

	Joey

--
Let's call it an accidental feature.  -- Larry Wall