Re: Update re: read-only root filesystem

On Sun, Jun 22, 2003 at 11:52:45AM +0200, Xavier Roche wrote:
> > To tell the truth, I didn't realize that so many files in /dev/
> > were being fiddled.  Obviously, one solution to the problem is
> > to have a separate writable /dev/ filesystem, e.g., devfs.
>
> Note that devfs is still "experimental" in 2.4
>
> Another remark for the HOWTO : mounting /tmp in "tmpfs" (since 2.4.1 ?)
> allows you not to resevre space for /tmp on a specific partition
>
> > The question is: Should we concede that a separate /dev/ fs is
> > required for running with a read-only root filesystem
>
> Dunno.. shall we consider devfs and tmpfs as standard (which is IMHO a
> good idea) for future releases?

tmpfs - yes (tmpfs is a requirement for posix shm), devfs - no, at least
not until it's been cleaned up properly. Afaik it still has quite some
race conditions in the v2.4, and there are still things left that need
to be solved in a nice manner (just ask Alexander Viro...)

[snip]

Regards: David Weinehall
--
 /) David Weinehall <tao@acc.umu.se> /) Northern lights wander      (\
//  Maintainer of the v2.0 kernel   //  Dance across the winter sky //