Re: Update re: read-only root filesystem

> To tell the truth, I didn't realize that so many files in /dev/
> were being fiddled.  Obviously, one solution to the problem is
> to have a separate writable /dev/ filesystem, e.g., devfs.

Note that devfs is still "experimental" in 2.4

Another remark for the HOWTO : mounting /tmp in "tmpfs" (since 2.4.1 ?)
allows you not to resevre space for /tmp on a specific partition

> The question is: Should we concede that a separate /dev/ fs is
> required for running with a read-only root filesystem

Dunno.. shall we consider devfs and tmpfs as standard (which is IMHO a
good idea) for future releases?

> It is worth filing a report to ask that the script not try to
> change the permissions and ownership of the pipe if it is not
> necessary to do so, and that it tolerate failure.  I'll file it.

Okay.