Re: Proposal: removing libc5, altgcc and all their old-days dependencies

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003, Francesco P. Lovergine wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 20, 2003 at 12:39:45AM +1200, Philip Charles wrote:
> > >

> > Take the Lawyer example.  He probably bought his legal practice when it
> > was all Word.  He does not like it, he is stuck.
> >

> If he was really interested in his data, he should convert them in a
> standard and portable format soon. The same for all that people
> who have the same problem. Registration and maintainance of
> historical e-data is not something that Debian can manage.
> It's a big problem which requires strong choices.
> Anyone who stores in proprietary formats his data is looking
> for problems. They have to convert them as soon as possible.

My lawyer an exception being into GNU/Linux.  Other solicitors wouldn't
think of converting and will continue to email him with complex doc's.

> > Take my wife's Ph.D., started seven years ago.  We looked at MS Word and
> > it could not cut the mustard so she stuck with WP 5.1.  What free
> > alternatives were there then?  Maybe Lyx, certainly latex, but my wife is
> > a musiciannot a geek.  Anyway, her M.A. thesis was in WP 5.1.  So when the
>
> Mmmm, bad example. See http://www.lomuto.it/HomeMicheleLomutoE.htm
> That is a non-geek musician who uses Emacs and Latex only :-P
> because he is seriuously concerned about his data.

But he is not my wife.  Again, he is an exception.

> > Please remember this is 2003 and not 1983.  People have accumulated a lot
> > on their HDDs in twenty years.
> >

> ... and they are also completely uninterested in storing docs in a way
> that will allow them to read their own data in the future...

As long as these doc's exist someone will make money by providing the
means of reading them, if OOo does not.

IMHO, the problem has been resolved.

Phil.

     I sell GNU/Linux & GNU/Hurd CDs.   See http://www.copyleft.co.nz