Re: no freshness dating inside Packages.gz

Keegan Quinn wrote:
> On Tuesday 17 June 2003 03:09 pm, Dan Jacobson wrote:
> > Sure, "you don't need to know the date, as you are using sid and did
> > apt-get update, you are assured it's the latest version".  Well, one
> > doesn't need the maintainer field either etc.
>
> Are you implying that knowing the date you last updated somehow helps you find
> out who created the package?
>
> ls -l /var/lib/apt/lists/*Packages
>
> This would give you the time your Packages files were last updated.  Is this
> what you were looking for?  Your message does not exactly make it clear.

He wants to know when a particular package was last updated, without
having to download it and examine the gzip time stamp and/or changelog.

I've wanted the same from time to time. It's a funny omission from the
Packages format.

And yes, that can be useful information. If you're looking for anything
resembling a driver, or the like, or if you just want to make sure a
package has had an upload in the past .. 3 years before wasting your
time with it. I prefer not to install packages whose maintainers have
been asleep for 3 years.

--
see shy jo