Re: security in testing

On Wed, 14 May 2003, Björn Stenberg wrote:
>Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>>On Wed, 14 May 2003 15:16:38 +0200, Björn Stenberg <bjorn@haxx.se> said:
>>> This brings back the question I never got an answer for: Who is
>>> Debian for?
>>
>> Isn't is obvious? Me, of course.
>
> The question is serious, important and unanswered.

Manoj's answer, while witty, is closer to the mark than you may
realize.

Debian will always be for whoever the people contributing to Debian
are willing/want it to be for. No more, no less.

We can decide that we want to be a distribution for desktop users, or
for server users, but at the end of the day, Debian will reflect the
wishes of those who contribute.

> It affects who wants to use Debian, and who wants to contribute to
> it.

I'd argue that the converse is more important. [Unless most developers
do everything they do for purely altruistic reasons. I know I do what
I do for selfish reasons first.]

Don Armstrong

--
I'd sign up in a hot second for any cellular company whose motto was:
"We're less horrible than a root canal with a cold chisel."

http://www.donarmstrong.com
http://www.anylevel.com
http://rzlab.ucr.edu