Re: Status of Sarge Release Issues (Updated for May)

On Sat, May 10, 2003 at 10:16:40PM -0400, Morgon Kanter wrote:
> This one time, at band camp, Marc Haber <mh+debian-devel@zugschlus.de> wrote:
> > On Mon, 5 May 2003 17:17:20 -0500, Chris Cheney <ccheney@cheney.cx>
> > wrote:
> > >I have read that Linus is planning to have 2.6 released before July and
> > >have 2.7 open for commits by Kernel Summit time (July).
> >

> Can't remember where I heard it, but it was a reputable source. I
> heard that 2.6 was for release on the (American) night of Halloween.

You're thinking of the feature freeze, which was October 31st
(Halloween) of last year (2002).  It went fairly well, actually, in
terms of discipline of not letting new features after the code freeze.
We beat up Linus pretty badly last year about how long the 2.4 freeze
cycle went.

There is an IRC discussion scheduled today to talk about the 2.5
shutdown / 2.6 release issues, and the current date which is being
floated amongst the kernel developers is June or July.  The Kernel
Summit will be held just before the Ottawa Linux Symposium in July,
and both Linus Torvalds and Andrew Morton (the annointed 2.6
maintainer) will be there.  There have been jokes that if necessary,
we will just get Linus really drunk and then rip it out of his hands
and give it to Andrew if Linus 2.6.0 hasn't been released by then.  :-)

Seriously, although the date is not guaranteed, I think it's very
likely that 2.6.0 will be out in Summer 2003.

That being said, distro's may want to wait a while before they're
confident enough to ship a 2.6 kernel as their default kernel in their
distribution.  Current guesses are that we'll likely see commercial
distributions with 2.6 based releases as early as 2003 Q4, and more
likely, 2004 Q1 or Q2.

I'll note that with 774 RC bugs in the Debian as of this writing,
given the typical rate at which RC bugs seem to being opened as well
as closed out, it seems pretty likely that 2.6 will stablize long
before Sarge is ready to ship.  (This is not meant as a criticism;
however, we can all choose to take this as a challenge if we
wish.  :-)

					- Ted