Re: Debian MIA check

On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 02:41:49PM +0100, James Troup wrote:
> On the 12th March I sent out a maintainer ping to 191 possibly
> inactive Debian developers.  The list of developers was generated by
> looking first at all maintainers who didn't have a source package
> signed by (one of) their key(s) in unstable and then excluding from
> that anyone who had been seen (with a signed message) by echelon in
> the last 6 months.

Excellent!  I for one am very glad to see this being worked on.

> Of the 191 pings were sent out:
>  o 34 people's ping bounced[1].
>  o 28 people replied asking to be retired.
>  o 29 people replied with various different responses.
>  o 10 people replied who were active.
>  o 90 people didn't reply within the 2 month deadline[2].

Would it be possible to get a list of people in the middle three
categories?  (Or is that forthcoming?)  I presume that for the retirees,
at least, orphaning of their packages is in order.

> There will be 4 states for any given account in LDAP:
>
>  o [default]
>  o Emeritus
>  o Disabled
>  o Memorial
>
> The [default] state is what the majority of accounts will be in; I
> don't want to call it 'active' because that would be misleading.

Maybe "operational"?

> So, the 34 people who's email bounced and 90 people who didn't reply
> will have their account set to the 'disabled' status.  The 28 people
> who asked to be retired will be set to 'emeritus'.  If you know how to
> reach any of the people listed in [1] and [2] below, please feel free
> to contact them and get them to reply to wat@debian.org.

Is there a mnemonic for that?  I.e., does "wat" stand for something?

> Finally, this is only the start of what will hopefully be an ongoing
> process; further pings based on other criteria are planned and also
> the results of Martin's MIA work will be acted on.

Thanks again.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     Organized religion is a sham and a
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     crutch for weak-minded people who