Re: libpng clarification

On Mon, May 12, 2003 at 04:51:12PM +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le lun 12/05/2003 à 15:46, Steve Langasek a écrit :
> > > If some other distributions link gdk-imlib with libpng3, binary
> > > compatibility with them on these applications is a dream. We could
> > > rebuild everything against libpng3, but that means changing the GTK+ and
> > > gdk-imlib package names, and rebuilding hundreds of applications for a
> > > questionable gain.
> >
> > Since this particular problem will go away with the next upstream
> > release of libpng (which will implement "versioned symbols"), it does
> > seem like questionable gain, yes.

> Waiting for the next upstream version without having a schedule is not
> really a solution. This version will have a different soname, so we are
> likely to get into serious upgrade trouble, again.

Although the symbol versioning proposed for the next version of libpng
is otherwise reprehensible, it does have the advantage that it will
allow the new lib to coexist with the old libs, without any changes to
the old libs.  So the next libpng soname bump won't cause any upgrade
troubles, unless someone seriously screws up.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer