Re: show all Suggests packages not installed

On Mon, 12 May 2003, Brian May wrote:
> On Sun, May 11, 2003 at 03:47:11PM +1000, Matt Hope wrote:
> > On Sun, 11 May 2003, Dan Jacobson <jidanni@dman.ddts.net> wrote...
> >
> > > OK, what I want to do is
> > > For all (1000+) packages that I have installed:
> > >     Show me all the Recommends and Suggests packages (that I don't have installed)
> > >     in one concise list.
> > % apt-cache unmet
> On woody this seems to only show uninstalled packages?
>
> eg:
>
> snoopy:unstable:~# apt-cache unmet
> [...]
> Package apt-move version 4.1.14 has an unmet dep:
>  Depends: libapt-pkg3.1
[...]
> but I don't have any intention of installing apt-move, hitop,
> kde-extras, freefem, or xemacs21-gtk-mule-canna-wnn.
>
> Yes, gibraltar-bootsupport does look interesting (and its corresponding
> mkinitrd-cd package), but the fact remains I don't have it installed.
...but you still happen to have all their config and control files,
all the package.{list,shlibs,md5sums,{pre,post}{inst,rm}} and so on
installed.  Removing a package instead of purging it assumes you are
likely to reinstall it soon, it might be a good idea to purge all the
cruft.

/-----------------------\ Shh, be vewy, vewy quiet,
| kilobyte@mimuw.edu.pl | I'm hunting wuntime ewwows!
Segmentation fault (core dumped)