Re: new locale: de-utf?

On 2003-05-08 at 21:48 -0400 Theodore Ts'o sent off:
Hmmm.... should it be de_DE.UT8 instead?  I have no idea --- I'm not
an I18N expert --- but I notice we do have locales zh_CN.BG2312 and
zh_TW.Big5.  Someone tell me what the right thing ought to be, and
I'll change it.

gettext .mo files should *never* reside in charset depending locale direcories. It this are gettext .mo files everyone should rename for example zh_CN.BG2312 to zh_CN and so on. gettext does transcoding automagically. If you leave the attached charset encoding you just make sure that the catalog file is not found for example in UTF-8 locales.

An automatic check for that would be a good idea ...

Bjoern