Re: Generally accepted cut-off limit for -doc packages

Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> writes:

> On Wed, May 07, 2003 at 08:44:37AM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
>> On Tue, 6 May 2003, Martin Schulze wrote:
>> > and the "generally accepted cut-off limit for -doc packages is ~500k
>> > of installed data" that ftpmasters implement.
>> But this is not true.  More than 100 times ftpmaster implemented even much
>> smaller packages:

a) there's probably > 1000 source packages which pre-date my time as
   ftpmaster (not to mention the time when the concept of NEW didn't
   exist or when all developers had write access to the archive).

b) I don't check every NEW package, there are others on ftpmaster both
   in the past and present who process(ed) NEW packages and they may
   not agree and/or bother with sanity checking package splits.

c) just because we've done something wrong in the past doesn't mean we
   can't correct that mistake now, e.g. by your reasoning we shouldn't
   be fixing the SSL vs. GPL violations because "ftpmaster
   implemented[sic] it in the past".

> Maybe they don't like you.

Wow, that's such a helpful comment, Branden.  You would have made an
excellent DPL, I'm sure[1].

--
James

[1] You opened that particular door with your reply to Santiago...