Re: why do we care about configuration files?

On Friday 18 April 2003 16:15, Colin Walters wrote:

> Perhaps I've been overly strong with the rhetoric.  Let me give two
> realistic scenarios where this "manage foo with debconf?" fails.

Also the scenario:

3) Guy who has to install lots of boxes that aren't desktops
I have to arrange for the installation of a lot of machines. This needs to be
done as quick and as repeatably as possible. The more noise there is, the
more difficult this is to do when different people may be responsible for
installing different boxes (e.g. in different parts of the world). Installs
also have to be documented, and more complexity means more documentation. A
simple, quiet, disable services by default and no stupid questions from
libnet-perl distribution is what I need. Debian mostly provides this, it
would be a disappointing if I had to modify any more packages than I
currently do in order to use Debian for this purpose.