Re: multiarchitecture binaries - technical obstacles?

On Mon, Apr 21, 2003 at 09:17:42AM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> I know many people think so, and were amazed when i ran a ppc kernel
> cross compiled on m68k on my apus amiga. Which ran very stably indeed.

Kernels, and the toolchain, are amoung the few things which can be
cross-compiled fairly reliably - because you have to do that when
bootstrapping a new architecture.

> And even if it is less stable, is it not because of bugs in the build
> suite that could/should be fixed ?

Yup. Wanna go fix a few thousand build systems? And then keep them
fixed even when upstream has no understanding of the issues or
interest in making it work? Nobody has yet, probably because native
compilation works just fine.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ | Dept. of Computing,
 `. `'                          | Imperial College,
   `-             -><-          | London, UK