Re: How should this issue be handled, should it be taken to the Technical Ctte?

On Mon, Feb 17, 2003 at 07:22:34AM +1100, Herbert Xu wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 16, 2003 at 01:16:12PM +0100, Javier Fern?ndez-Sanguino Pe?a wrote:
> >
> > If that's how we should treat users who are filing bug reports against
> > Debian I'm afraid we are never going to get anyone to cooperate more than
> > twice.
>
> Well users who file bugs of this kind should be discouraged from doing so.

Of what "kind" might I say?  I just thought that maybe you did not knew
about RedHat's mkinitrd, a brief look at the code suggested what I said
(that they did cover more situations than yours). It was a wishlist bug,
you could have said "I already know about it and it's no good" (since I
believe, now, that is the case), For crying out loud! It would have taken
you the same time to write a polite "no thanks" than your answer.

As a Debian developer, with my own share of packages and documentation, I
have never, ever, answered like this to a user who suggested stuff. I've
tried to explain why the proposal was not useful.

IMO your attitude is not the best. Coding is not the only skill a
maintainer has to keep sharp [1]

	Regards

	Javi

[1] Nowadays, flaming seems to be the second one and co-operation is miles
behind, I'm afraid.