Re: apt-get upgrade

On Sun, Feb 09, 2003 at 04:50:11PM -0500, Deedra Waters wrote:
> I'm starting to see this more and more, so thought I should report it. not
> sure if this is really the right place to report it though.  I'm running
> sid
>
> Failed to fetch
> http://http.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/v/vim/vim_6.1-320+1_i386.deb
> 404 Not Found [IP: 208.185.25.38 80]
> Failed to fetch
> http://http.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/z/zsh/zsh_4.0.6-22_i386.deb
> 404 Not Found [IP: 208.185.25.38 80]

The mirrors in the http.us.debian.org rotation update rather slowly, and
they're not (all) tuned to first get the debs and then the Packages files
which avoids these things. So when a user first does an apt-get update with
new Packages files and then tries to get the new .debs referenced by the new
Packages files, and the mirror update is still running, they get errors.

This is especially visible right now because the mirror pulse is over a
gigabyte. It's been unusually high like this for a while; over 1120 MB
on average in the last week.

I've tried to get the mirrors to update faster in the past, but I could
never resolve the bottleneck because the bandwidth sponsor for ftp-master
wouldn't allow us to use any more bandwidth than we do right now.
The admins in charge of ftp-master are informed of the situation.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.