Help w/ kernel-headers and vmware-installation

Hello all,

I'm having a problem with the kernel-headers when trying to install vmware-workstation.
I'm running a Debian unstable on a HP Omnibook XE3, with the 2.4.20-kernel from kernel-image-2.4.20-686.deb. On install, VMware tells me that it needs to compile some vmon modules. To do so it has to have access to the kernel-headers. So I installed the kernel-headers-2.4.20.deb. When pointing the vmware-install.pl script to the right direction /usr/src/kernel-headers-2.4.20/inculude, it tells me that the version of the kernel-headers (2.4.20) does not match the version of my running kernel (2.4.20-686). What can I do? I already did try to modify the EXTRAVERSION= line in /usr/src/kernel-headers-2.4.20/Makefile to include the version string -686, but that didn't help.
I'd really like to get around this problem without compiling a new kernel.
Thanks for your help,
Andreas