Re: Some ideas about the Debian Runlevel System

* Lars Wirzenius <liw@iki.fi> [2003-01-29 02:10]:
> ti, 28-01-2003 kello 23:03, Alexander Wirt kirjoitti:
>> I have to talked to some people in the last time and they alle agree
>> with me that this would be a much better solution than the actual
>> system.
>
> Kidding aside, there is no way to partition use of runlevels that will
> work for all people.

 Of course not.  And there is no way to partition use of mutt config
that will work for all people.  Your point was?

> If Debian were to set up some sort of policy for them, it would make
> it harder for the sysadmins to use runlevels the way they want to.

 And I simply don't grok that statement.  _Why_ do so many people think
that way?  What is different if the sysadmins have to change the
runlevel links from one way to their likes instead of from another way
to their likes?   There simply is *no* difference imnsho.

 So can we please skip that part?  That's a senseless statement. It
really doesn't make any difference for a sysadmin that likes to change
the things to his/her likings, but it makes a *big* difference for those
that doesn't want to fiddle with it but have sensible defaults (that is,
not four times the completely same runlevel).

> I seem to recall several runlevel schemes having been suggested
> throughout the years.

 Like the LSB-scheme.  Aren't we longing for LSB-conformance?  It would
be an improvement.  To discuss if that is sensible is not our call to
make, that discussion should happen in the LSB area, not in the Debian
one.  So please skip that part, too.

 About those whining that it would work only for new installs but not
for upgrades: Add a script to sysvinit that will check already installed
daemons and do (after debconf question) do sensible things to it.

 So long!
Alfie
--
(o)_    ,---ooO--00--Ooo---.  Signature Daemon:
(>)_  ,'   Gerfried  Fuchs  `.       --  <http://alfie.ist.org/projects/sigd/>